Antique Automobile Club of America or Heaven?

(image ©AACA Museum website: http://www.aacamuseum.org)



This past weekend my husband and I decided to take a road trip. The AACA Museum in Hershey PA was hosting the "Fast from the Past" motorcycle exhibit that we were both interested in seeing. Driving to a car museum to view motorcycles...we couldn't think of any better way to spend our day.

Typically you would think a day off would allow me a chance to recharge my batteries, tear my eyes away from the computer and not think about design for once.

But, I find that most of the time I relate everything to design in one way or another. My husband is use to this and (hopefully) finds it endearing. He understands my need to "design" everything and make it aesthetically pleasing. When we are restoring cars he leaves the accessories, colors and all visual components to me. He lives with the knowledge that even if he can't envision it, I will make it extraordinary in the end.

What he didn't expect was that our foray to a museum would result in me not being able to get away from the designer within. You would think a day off is just that but boy was he wrong.

According to their website "The AACA Museum is dedicated to the Celebration, Preservation, Education, and Display of the American Motor Vehicle history that provides value for our members, hobbyists, and the public." The museum is organized so that you literally cruise through time. Starting at Battery Park in the 1900s, you travel through decade after decade, all complete with elaborate themed settings that present the vehicles in such a way that those moments in time come alive.

I was expecting to be intrigued and captivated by the vehicles, some of which I have never seen (like the 1952 Studebaker Commander Convertible) and some of which I had read about (like the 1970 LS-6 Chevelle that was found within 21 trailers packed to the gills with cars and parts) What I didn't expect was the level of detail paid to the environment.

There were fuel cans, spark plug advertisements and displays, car care folders you would receive from your mechanic, labels, logos, bus schedules and scores of ads, pins and other design related items. The list is just too long to go into detail here but I was in graphic design heaven!!!

It was overwhelming, inspiring and enviable all at the same time. Every designer's dream is to create something that will withstand the test of time and here I was staring at the brilliance of designs from over 100 years ago. There were large advertisements, that drew me in and were so eye catching in their simplicity that I found them more effective and alluring than some of today's full color, flashier versions.

And to be the one who got to work on the display graphics for the museum!! Designs based on and around the car profession...holy smokes! But, it got me thinking. Maybe I need to parlay my knowledge and love of graphic design with my knowledge and love of cars and vehicles in general. My extensive background in trade show graphics, packaging and print design makes it so I can offer a complete service to any car-based business. And with my intense interest in anything related to cars, you know you'll have my full attention both in the office and out!

Overall it was refreshing to get out and visit a place we've never been too. And maybe I need to seriously consider contacting automotive businesses about offering my services to them. To achieve this goal I think more research is in order...where's the next car show at????

Post a Comment

Contact

For more information on how we can make your designs come to light, contact us today at info(at)madcow-designs(dot)com

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP