Being a designer is a funny thing. We can't go anywhere or look at anything without thinking about the fonts, the colors, the illustrations or the photography. We gush over the feel of paper and can be seen fondling printed pieces with such glee and amazement, to the untrained eye it must look obscene. When we meet other designers we compare notes on program versions, print houses, design trends, wax nostalgic about past jobs, our paths to this career choice and the training we have received.

For today's blog, I would like to relate one of my favorite stories from a very early point in my design career that I love to tell to other designers. I don't think a day goes by when I don't reflect on this as I prep for the work day ahead.

A lot of designers I know had professors that thrived on "rules" for design. What to do and not to do in order to achieve the best result for a client. Which in theory sounds great. Some days I wish there was a simple outline to follow that would please everyone. But alas, design is very subjective so unlike 2+2 always equaling 4, in the design world it could very well equal platypus...depending on your cilent's own rules of what they like and don't like.

I distinctly remember a design professor stating at one point to never use the colors red and blue together because the contrast between them is too stark for most consumer's eyes. Now, I know what you are thinking..."But the American flag....." yes, yes, I know, I know. I 'm just telling you what one person said.

Now fast forward about a year after that statement to my first design job. I was still in college and working part time in an in-house department for an upscale supermarket. My supervisor liked to tell me and the other workers almost the same thing..don't use red and blue together because they aren't good color choices when used on packaging for food.

OK. Confirmation #2 to not use red and blue together...EVER...got that Betsy Ross???

I had been employed by this company for about 6 months when my first package design job got handed to me. This is the culmination of everything I worked so hard for in school. All the interviews I had gone on, all the late nights spent honing my skills and here is my first big printed piece!! I would be working with a freelance illustrator and the owner of the company one on one to achieve pasta packaging perfection!

Unbeknownst to me the package design had already been around quite a few times. The owner wasn't happy with any of the designs or the many illustrations that had been provided. I'm in my cubicle happily unaware of the many revisions and options that had been provided when the owner walks in to check on my progess.

He is thrilled with my first proof and without hesitation the package gets sent to the printer and it was on the shelf in a matter of weeks.

The package is a lovely shade of red and blue.

So what does this say? Ignore everything your professors try to teach you in school? Supervisor's recommendations be damned???

Luckily for everyone involved, that is not what I am trying to convey.

Design is like every other fine art that is out there. We will have our supporters and our detractors. And even though our profession is very commercial, there is no simple answer to every job. We will not always wind up with 4 when adding 2 and 2 together. Design is very subjective and good designers know that.

So trust us when we ask you questions like "what is your favorite and least favorite color" because you just might love red and blue together no matter what anyone says:)

Post a Comment

Contact

For more information on how we can make your designs come to light, contact us today at info(at)madcow-designs(dot)com

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP